Friday, September 29, 2006

Musings on walking out

It's interesting to discover things about yourself. In an age where most of us are defined by our jobs, how does one see oneself when you're "asked to leave"?

This happened to me on Monday. What struck me most is the sense of relief I felt walking out the door, absolved of my responsibilities. Most people at work seemed rather shocked (this was an executive decision, and politically driven), and I certainly felt bad leaving them, but considering the pit of depression I had been wallowing in the weeks prior and the sudden recovery therefrom was foremost on my mind.

After four days of soul-searching (and travelling to Vancouver, Canada, my home), I came to the following conclusions:

  • No matter how much you believe in the originally-stated goals of the start-up, nothing is worth tolerating a caustic political atmosphere. If you can't fix it, leave, because it will eat you if it can. Your mental health is worth everything.
  • If you leave in good conscience, nobody will hold this against you.
  • No matter how much a company states that they want to support you, you still need to look out for your own interests.
Anyways, I am on the job market, and the response has been positive. Time to do some R&R (Mountain biking, scuba diving).

Opportunity abounds, and is what you make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home